Monday, March 7, 2011

This American Life

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/178/superpowers

I have always been drawn to Batman.  My cousin and I would search for hours to locate the nearest safety pin to hold our towel capes around our necks.  Once this objective was achieved, we would then tumble around the house as if we were Batman and Robin fighting crime.  In my solo ventures, I had numerous chest plates, black masks, and silk capes for my own Batman get ups.  The chest plate was necessary to make me appear shredded, like Batman’s impeccable physique.
                The question is why Batman.  Well, Batman is a unique super hero.  Batman does not have any super powers.  Batman is a man who has virtually unlimited resources because of his wealth.  With his unlimited time and resources, he can afford to be in shape, technologically superior, and trained in the best combat training known to man.  As a kid I always knew the abilities that super man had were horribly unrealistic.  But Batman, he just had a utility belt, state-of-the-art car, and a lair with a butler named Alfred.  The things Batman could do with his utility belt are enough to make any kid want a grappling gun or a net gun.  Batman could rush into the city at any sign of need, and round up any villain.  Any damage Batman might take could easily be repaired by Alfred.  Also, the best thing about Batman was at any sign of trouble he had an uncanny ability to escape.  With a smoke bomb or two and a flash of his cape, Batman would be zip lining to another sky scraper away from an impending capture.  This ability to escape was always fascinating to me.  The ability to conquer any situation with the items you have in your possession is one that excites me most about Batman’s abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment